Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What I learned from Tupac

Last night while flipping through the channels, I saw a documentary that caught my attention. It was a documentary on the life of Tupac. I was in 8th grade when he was killed, so my appreciation for him didn't really develop until after he was gone. I used to have all of his albums, but somewhere in the chaos of jumping all over the map in the past few years, I have lost them all. I forgot how much I liked him. After we watched that documentary, I got on youtube and listened to a bunch of my favorite songs. Pac was a genius. I think the best thing about him though, was the reality that he brought to the light. He was willing to say what everyone around him was thinking, yet too afraid to say. He saw [his] reality for what it was, regardless if it offended anyone. He knew he had to be honest about reality if he ever wanted to confront/change it. I learn a ton from stuff like that- People connect to authenticity. People yearn for someone, anyone who is completely willing to confront reality, no matter what it costs or who it offends.

Food for thought.

*Creative people are very misunderstood. Creativity is closely related to passion, and TRUE passion cannot be compartmentalized. Passion cannot be masked, and it is not contained in the cultural norms of society. I am not AT ALL saying that all passions are right, justifiable, or should be accepted. I am, however, saying that passion is not something that can be contained but it should be channeled. We live in a culture that tries to kill passion. Ultimately, we don't want anyone to make us feel uncomfortable or ask us questions that we'd rather hide from. We'd rather everyone be a straight line for fear of uncertainty in the direction of a curve. I appreciate passionate people, even if their passions are misdirected- I don't have to agree with them to appreciate them. This world needs more people who are willing to stand up and ask the tough questions, regardless of what others will think. We need more people who will run at full speed and give all they have for a cause. Passion is contagious. Unfortunately, so is laziness. I choose passion.

No comments: